Banana bread is one of my favorite things to make anytime of year. It is a convenient way to use those bananas that get too ripe for anything else. The bananas at my house usually go quickly, but this time I guess I bought more than I thought and I had way more bananas than I could handle.
And because it is so warm outside right now our kitchen area is warmer which helped ripen those bananas quicker than normal. But it I have to admit this gave me an excuse to make some banana bread.
I went to Pinterest and looked up a close enough recipe to my husband’s grandmother’s recipe. My mother in law had given me the exact recipe at one time, but during our move I must have misplaced it.
It was the best banana bread recipe I had ever tasted, but this one was close enough to it and just as good.
I made a few modifications to the original. I raised the baking temperature by 25 degrees because I live in a high altitude area and I added milk. I remember grandma’s recipe calling for milk and living in a drier climate I always make sure when I bake it is a moist batter.
Although you can follow the recipe exactly if you would like. I made three loafs because I had 10 overripe bananas that needed to be used.
I added the chocolate chips to one of the loafs and the other two had just chopped pecans added to them.
One of my favorite things about baking and trying new recipes is that you are able to modify the recipe to your liking.
This is the recipe I referenced from Pinterest.
Original Recipe Link: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread by Something Swanky
Here are the directions that include my modifications.
- 3-4 OVERRIPE BANANAS
- 3/4 CUP SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- 1 TEASPOON OF VANILLA
- 1/4 CUP OF VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 1/2 CUPS OF ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 1/4 TEASPOONS OF BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF BAKING SODA
- A DASH OF GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/8 TEASPOON OF SALT
- OPTIONAL: 1 CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS OR 1 CUP OF CHOPED PECANS OR WALNUTS, AND 1/4 CUP OF MILK
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES FARENHEIT (375 DEGREES FARENHEIT FOR ALTITUDES ABOVE 3,000 FEET)
- SPRAY 9X5 BAKING PANS WITH NON STICK BAKING SPRAY
- MASH BANANAS WITH A FORK OR WHISK. MIX IN SUGAR, EGG, VANILLA, AND VEGETABLE OIL
- MIX IN FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, GROUND CINNAMON, AND SALT. ADD MILK IF DESIRED.
- GENTLY MIX IN CHOCOLATE CHIPS OR NUTS OR BOTH IF DESIRED.
- POUR BATTER INTO GREASED LOAF PANS.
- BAKE FOR 55-60 MINUTES. CHECK IF DONE BY POKING A BUTTER KNIFE THROUGH AT 55 MINTUES. KNIFE WILL COME OUT CLEAN ONCE DONE.
- LET COOL BEFORE SERVING WITH ICE CREAM OR A TALL GLASS OF MILK.
I hope you enjoy the recipe like we did. It was delicious! Let me know in the comments if you want to try it or have tried it.